Yes, you read correctly. You can go and play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate right now! Sort of.
Nintendo has just launched something called the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience, which means that gamers in select areas can go into retail stores and play demos of some of the Switch’s hottest titles – including the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Alas, this is limited to just America, so if you’re based in the UK, Europe, or indeed anywhere else on the planet, you’d better start booking your flights now. The good news is that the event lasts from now until December 16th, so you have a good window of time to play with if you’re having a hard time convincing your boss / spouse / bank.
And if you’re not overly fussed about Smash Bros., there’s a plethora of other titles to dive into, including Pokémon: Let’s Go, Nintendo Labo and Super Mario Party.
In terms of timing your visit, the slots are quite specific, but on the plus side they’re free. Basically, you need to aim for one of the following:
- 4pm – 9pm Monday – Thursday
- 3pm – 9pm on Fridays
- 10am – 9pm on Saturdays
- 11am – 6pm on Sundays
And in terms of the venues, here’s the list of places that Nintendo has announced:
- Mall of Georgia in Buford, Georgia
- Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois
- Memorial City Mall in Houston, Texas
- Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance, California
- The Florida Mall in Orlando, Florida
- Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota
- Queens Center in Elmhurst, New York
- King of Prussia Mall in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
- Arrowhead Towne Center in Glendale, Arizona
- Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, California
- Tysons Corner Center in Tysons Corner, Virginia
(I know it looks like the list is riddled with spelling and punctuation errors, but I checked ’em. It really is a Towne Center in Glendale. #FunFact)
So this is great news if you live in America and are within spitting distance of these venues. And if you’re one such person and get the chance to unleash some final smashes in the midst of a bustling shopping mall, let us know how you get on – and what your bail is set at 😉
Otherwise, it looks as though the rest of us will have to wait a bit longer for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It launches on December 7th, and you can support this website by pre-ordering your copy here.